Patrick D. Kelly
Senior Software Engineer focused on creating correct, maintainable systems.
Works with stakeholders to identify core problems & the optimal path
to solutions. Honest and straightforward.
- Web/cloud applications and services
- OLTP and OLAP data modeling & optimization
- SQL, Java, Ruby, Python, Go, etc.
- AWS Athena, Apache Presto/Trino, Redshift, Postgres, Oracle, MySql, Mongo, Redis, etc
Senior Software Engineer
Zuora, San Mateo, CA
Nov 2015 - Present
Zuora creates cloud-based software for subscription and revenue management for any business.
- Designed and implemented "data set generator" which dynamically constructs
SQL queries to compute dimensional rollups to support interactive exploration &
analysis from larger data cubes
- Focused on dimensional modeling, OLAP processing, analytics & business
intelligence working with Java, Postgres, Redshift, Athena
- Developed/maintained data pipeline handling multiple heterogeneous data
streams, coalescing data into a flexible account/user dimensional data model
to reveal behavioral insights
- Design & implement APIs for Analytics Dashboard and dimensional exploration.
- Work with Product Management to prioritize features to maximize benefit to end
SQL, Java, Athena, Redshift, Postgres, Redis
Director of Products
Cleantech Group, San Francisco, CA
Dec 2011 - Nov 2015
Cleantech Group provides research, events and advisory services around cleantech
innovation. The i3connect Platform provides insights into companies, investors,
financing and relationships across the clean technology ecosystem.
- Managed port of web application from PHP to Ruby/Rails with in-flight transition
- Managed offshore web developers
- Worked with analysts & researchers to identify requirements & implement solutions
Ruby on Rails, mySql, Postgres, PHP
Convio, Austin, TX / GetActive Software, Berkeley, CA
Jan 2001 - Nov 2011
Convio (acquired by BlackBaud) provided online Constituent Relationship
Management (eCRM) solutions for nonprofit & other organizations. A trusted
Internet partner for more than 1400 organizations, including the American Red
Cross, Oxfam America, U.S. Chamber of Commerce and AFLCIO.
- Team lead for development of toolkit to aid migration of 800 clients from
GetActive platform to Convio platform.
GetActive Software (acquired by Convio) provided online constituent relationship
management (eCRM) solutions that helped organizations with its advocacy, email
messaging and fundraising products.
- Grew from 0 to 800 clients, 50 million users, and 1B+ transactions per year
- Architected core components of application: donations, email, template system,
and database access
- Custom reporting tool. Enabled developers to rapidly deploy dynamic reports
- Reviewed designs. Provided engineering insight to management to inform product
strategy. Technical input to aid in prioritization of projects to optimize
team efficiency. Establish bestpractices for product development.
- Consult with infrastructure team to specify production system architecture.
Created tools, interfaces and reports to ease maintenance of production
- Established standard for development of production system monitors integrated
with Nagios to proactively identify system problems.
- Architected and deployed an optimized data warehouse aggregation system to
support clientspecified custom reports across 7 years of data with 15 second
XML, SOAP and REST-based web services, TCL, Python, Resin, AOLServer
arsDigita, Boston, MA
Jan 2000 - Nov 2000
ArsDigita built and delivered custom web applications. Clients included Siemens
AG, HewlettPackard, and Oracle.
- Extended the ACS platform through feature development.
- Worked directly with clients to identify business requirements, specify
technical requirements and deliver solutions within time and budget
- Provided training and code reviews on the ACS platform through aD bootcamps.
- Development platform installation/deployment, including Oracle installations.
Linux, Solaris, Oracle 8i/10g, SQL, PL/SQL, Java, XML/XSL, TCL, AOLServer, Resin, Tomcat
Kuentos Communications, Guam, USA
Oct 1993 - Dec 2000
Kuentos (acquired by Marianas Cable Vision) was Guam's groundbreaking Internet
service provider. Established solid reputation as the highest quality, and most
clientfocused, service of all Guam ISPs.
- Sys admin managing multiple BSDflavor unix boxes
- ISP services (SMTP, DNS, etc)
- ISP/AS peer routing with gated
- Participated in Asia Pacific NIC conferences
- Created isolated shell environment for 3000+ users
BSDi, Linux, sendmail, BIND, gated, C, Tcl, Apache, Perl, Solid DB, PostgreSQL, Bash, ksh
DS Corporation, Guam, USA
Nov 1990 - Sep 1993
DS Corporation was a multioutlet grocery and hardware retailer.
- Managed retail/inventory automation, data entry staff
SCO UNIX, BASS retail software, NCR register equipment
Plantronics, Santa Cruz, CA
Feb 1987 - Feb 1990
Plantronics designs & manufactures lightweight communications headset products
- Weekend tape backups, batch job execution/monitoring, batch job problem resolution
VAX/VMS, DECnet, 9 inch tape reels
Baha'i World Centre, Haifa, Israel
Jun 1985 - Jun 1986
The administrative headquarters for the Baha'i World Faith.
- Tape backups, terminal & printer inventory management, Oracle database development
VAX/VMS, EVE/TPU, Oracle
Bosch Baha'i School, Santa Cruz, CA
Feb 1983 - Jun 1985
Summer camp/educational retreat.
- Developed custom registration application in Turbo Pascal.
Turbo Pascal, CP/M, dBASE II/III/IV, WordStar, 123
B.A. Computational Linguistics
University of California, Santa Cruz
- Received Chancellor's Undergraduate Award "in recognition of exceptional accomplishment" for senior project, a program that parsed English sentences and evaluated their truth conditions.
- Presented to Linguistics faculty a generalized morphological parser with phonological rule compiler (C++).
Avid gopher, founder of Honolulu Go Users Group, https://hnlgo.org
MacOs, UNIX (Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, BSDi, Solaris), VMS, RSTS, CP/M
Java, SQL, Go, Ruby, Python, Tcl, C, C++, Common Lisp, Scheme, PL/SQL,
Java, Cobol, Awk, Perl, Pascal, Modula2, Forth, dBASE, FoxPro, Icon/Idol, Bash
Rails, mongodb, mysql, postgresql, Oracle, AOLServer, Apache, Resin, qmail,
djbdns, sendmail, BIND